Tuesday, October 10, 2006

another fake holiday...more double time for doing nothing

Today was one of those fake little federal holidays. As usual, we got paid double to sit around and get little done. I hate that. You get paid the most for doing the least. On nights where it is so busy you feel like you will just drop - then you get paid straight pay. Makes no sense! Makes no sense at all! But then again, few things make sense when you work for the government!

Now on real holidays, like Thanksgiving and Chritmas, the double time is warranted. But Columbus Day?????? Please! Spare me!

Still not feeling well. I must have slept between 18 and 20 hours yesterday, and after being up for about three hours I only wanted to lie down and take a nap!  Instead I had to go to work, where it was very quiet (thankfully - but the double time still does not make sense).

I got out of a hot shower a few minutes ago, and had to get out because I was all dizzy, and felt like I might faint. I have only fainted once in my adult life, and that was last winter when I got that horrid Norwalk virus. I did not want to faint tonight. Why in the world was I dizzy? The heat? The water pounding on my sinuses? Who knows. I just did not like it at all.

Maybe it is just as well that I am most likely staying home for my long weekend after all.

In order to cheer myself up:

Things I love about the autumn!

* The leaves all lovely colors, glowing in the sun like living gems

* freshly pressed apple cider

* doughnuts, freshly baked at a cider mill

* little kids in Halloween costumes - so cute!

* THE FIRST HARD FROST KILLING OFF THE MOLD AND POLLEN! (this should happen on Thursday night, thank God!)

* that gorgeous deep blue color the sky never gets at any other time of year

* pumpkins and corn shocks in the fields

* fresh raspberries and apples

* home baked pies

* bonfires

* marching bands (either high school or college)

* college football & tailgating

* opening of the ice hockey season!

* fall flowers, like mums!

* the crispness of the air

No comments: