Sunday, January 28, 2007

should I stay or should I go?

Trying to make up my mind whether or not to go to work - though I probably will. After 2 1/2 days of staying off of the bum knee as much as possible, I am nearly able to walk without a limp as long as I am wearing the knee brace that Dan got me. It (the knee) is stiff and uncomfortable rather than actually painful. But I am genuinely afraid of what will happen after walking and/or standing on it for eight hours tonight. Whatever I decide to do, I am going to call for a doctor's appointment first thing in the morning.

I have been doing a lot of reading to try to occupy my mind the last 2 1/2 days. I am currently a bit under halfway done with Steven Erikson's The Bonehunters  (which I picked up from a store in Amazon marketplace). I am enjoying it much more than I did Midnight Tides ~ the action starts much earlier in the book (which is probably the key for my enjoyment - in Tides I had to wait for hundreds of pages before the action really started), we are back in Malazan lands, shortly after the ending of House of Chains, and back to the cast of characters we are more used to. No annoying subplots (yet anyway), like the three women and their boytoy bodyguard from Tides. Karsa is back (and as cool as always!!), and we get to see Parran in action as Master of the Deck. And I have always enjoyed the ancient desert atmosphere of the Seven Cities setting more than the other settings Erikson has used. So I am thus far pleased. Very pleased, in fact.

So anyway, today I will probably go in to work, but I am afraid it will quickly go from discomfort to outright pain. And I do not deal well with pain.

It has been snowing just a tiny bit (less than an inch) every day lately. It has finally started to build up to the point where it is very pretty, but without making the roads bad at any given time. Cannot ask for better than that in the winter! Last night the first snowmobilers of the winter were racing through our yard (they love our yard because of all of the hills and trees).

Oh well. It is time to try to hobble back up the stairs and heat up some soup for lunch. And wrap the stooooopid knee with the heating pad and perhaps try to read a bit more before it is time to go to work this afternoon.

No comments: