Friday, January 5, 2007

books that make you HUNGRY!!

No - I am not talking cook books here!

I am talking regular novels that are so filled with descriptions of food that sound so gloriously yummy that you find drool running down your chin!

I just got done reading a novel from Vietnam called Paradise of the Blind by Duong Thu Huong. The book itself was lovely - told of how decades of war tore apart families and the socieity of Vietnam - but told in such a gentle voice that you end up with a lot of hope for the future of the people of that land. But it was also filled with all of these glorious descriptions of food - lovingly prepared and sounding delicious beyond measure. As soon as my Jeep is out of the shop, I will be going to a Vietnamese restaurant, as the food descriptions in that book are so divine! Hearts I must have Vietnamese food, and soon!!! Big Grin

And there is this mystery series by Nancy Fairbanks. The first two books are called Crime Brulee and Truffled Feathers, which were both fun - and someone recently gifted me with the third - Death A L'Orange, which I have not had time to read yet. The sleuth spends only part of each book trying to solve the mystery. The sleuth is a food writer, so most of the books are spent traveling to a distant city where she goes to all of the leading restaurants and eats the best foods and regional specialties - and the food is described in loving and minute detail. The first book was in pre-Katrina New Orleans, the second in NYC. The third looks as if it will be France, and I know that one will kill me. Wink Or quickly increase my VISA bill, as I might be compelled to seek out really good French food immediately and often.
Wink

No comments: