Sunday, January 14, 2007

finished

I finished it. Finally. Thanks be to God! Midnight Tides is over. You know, there is a magnificent story hiding in that 900 page novel - crying and pleading for a good editor to release it! But for now, I feel as if I have just completed a 10k road race over hilly terrain.

It is time for a glass of sangria and fruit juice, then a nap for a couple of hours.

And after the nap a good dinner and a couple of movies.

The ice storm is over for now. In fact, some of the ice is melting. There is enough ice on the poor trees that when a breeze comes through they make these horrible and frightening creaking and groaning sounds as if it is all they can do to keep erect. If the wind picks up, we might lose a tree or two still.

Dan called a couple of hours ago. He is as lonely for me as I am for him and the kids. Another sunny and chilly day in LA. Today he is staying with his parents in their home. Since they have a bumper crop of avocados on the tree in their backyard this winter, they will be having a guacamole festival this afternoon. Bill will be flying back to Indy tomorrow. After dropping him off, Dan will take Steven to Olivera Street - the original pueblo area and now historic center of LA. Dan must miss me - he is taking the kid/s to all of my favorite places to eat in LA - first Gladstones, now Olivera Street with all of its great little Mexican restaurants. Dan and Steven will be landing at Detroit Metro in the middle of the night on Tuesday, so I will drive to the airport and pick them up after work Tuesday night.

Well, it off for my wine and my nap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you get midnight tides.  the book stores say i cant get it until march

Anonymous said...

There is a little store in the amazon.com marketplace that imports Erikson's books from England. The store is in New York State. I got Midnight Tides in mass market paperback - and ordering it, even with shipping, is probably cheaper than what the forth coming US hardback will be.

They have the trade paperback of Bonehunters, which I have on order.

The book after Bonehunters, Reaper's Gale, will be out this spring in the UK ~ that little store in Amazon.com marketplace will probably start carrying it soon after its release.

Midnight Tides was one of the weaker books in the series for me (my favorites were Deadhouse Gates and House of Chains), but still a lot better than a lot of the current fantasy out there! There were some really good parts of the story, but the book could have used a good editing to take out some of the unneeded subplots, etc.