Friday, March 31, 2006

report cards; colonoscopy

Well, Dan's colonoscopy went well yesterday. He was so buzzed from the drugs for hours afterwards, it was a cause for high amusement. He had what the doctors thought to be harmless pseudopolyps that they biopsied (just in case) and his bowel did show  some irritation. More roughage in his diet should help a lot with that. After we got home, we watched a lot of movies, as he was not supposed to do much of anything for twelve hours after the procedure. They even gave him a color picture of the inside of his colon.

Amazingly, the movies from Netflix came yesterday. I had signed up for the service on Monday after midnight, and they came in Wednesday's mail. I was told by a couple of people at work who have moved around a bit that the Netflix center in Lansing, which takes care of the Ann Arbor area, kicks butt and is probably the best in the country. After seeing how fast they got those movies to me, I can well believe that!

I got a letter from the radiology clinic today, telling me that my mammogram was fine. That was a relief.

The kids' report cards came today. They are both doing fine, and both are on the honor roll. They are both doing extremely well in math. The results of Steven's MEAP (state mandated and administered tests) came back as well and he exceeded state standards in math and science, and met state standards in all other subjects. I suppose that the next big thing for school for either of the kids will be Bill's AP tests in May. His teachers think he will do well enough on all three to get college credit, and he is expected to get the highest possible marks on the calculus test. That would be great, he would have nearly a semester's worth of credits to his record before even starting college.

I finished up The Little Prince yesterday in the hospital. I love that little book! It is charming and moving and wise. I am still plowing away on Erikson's Memories of Ice, though I feel like I am on the home stretch now, with only a couple of hundred pages left. I usually am reading one large hardcover (which I keep next to my bed) and one mass market paperback (which I carry around in my purse) at the same time. Right now the big book is the one by Erikson. I have started a new purse book, Elie Wiesel's Night. It is wonderfully written in a deceptively simple style, but the horror of the Holocaust makes it a difficult read.

Tomorrow Dan and I will get to go hear the SF Jazz Collective in concert; Saturday will be spent seeing Steven wrestle in a championship at Jenison Fieldhouse at Michigan State University.

No comments: