Monday, March 27, 2006

another Monday

Well, it is Monday once again. This week should be interesting. I told them at work a couple of months ago that I would need a family care day off this week (on Wednesday) because of Dan's medical procedure; he cannot drive himself and last time he got a colonoscopy he was loopy from the drugs for hours afterwards. But on the schedule they put me down for a day off on the wrong day. I've let them know that - hopefully it will get straightened out before Wednesday, or I will have to call in, leaving them short that day, and then I will be an extra person on Thursday. This is either the third or fourth month in a row my schedule has been messed up in just such a way (my approved days off getting on the master schedule wrong). Thank God I am not taking any time off in April; they couldn't mess that up.

This week is going to be nuts. Dan is having his colonoscopy on Wednesday; we are going to the big jazz concert on Friday; and on Saturday Steven will be wrestling in the MYWAY state championships in Lansing at a big stadium at Michigan State University. Hopefully my work schedule will get straightened out, as that will be one less thing to worry about.

I have been slowly reading my way through Steven Erikson's fantasy series. I am in the middle of the third book, Memories of Ice, and it is a monstrous thing; big as a cinder block.  Luckily, it is written well enough that it moves quickly, despite its huge size. Erikson has put thousands of years of history behind his world. Some of the many plot lines (the Chain of Dogs in the second book, the siege of a city in this third book) are quite stirring. Yet, I have never cared much for books with extremely active gods and demons...or with large numbers of magic users with hugely powerful spells. The fact that I am reading and enjoying these anyway says a lot for Erikson as a writer. He is quite good, but I still prefer some of the more character driven fantasy writers out there such as Donaldson, Martin, and Bakker.

I have the feeling once I get through this book, I will need to read something light and heart warming.

I shall also have to take some time and watch some movies or something as a change of pace. Not to mention  taking my elderly dog for some gentle walks this week, as it looks as if we shall have some wonderful spring weather. I now have four patches of snow crocuses blooming - one white, two yellow, and one light purple.

Spring and blooming flowers, are most welcome.

No comments: