Wednesday, March 22, 2006

the return of winter?

I'm not sure if one of the kids somehow adjusted the way the Internet looks on my home computer, or of it is something AOL has done in one of its updates, but a couple of weeks ago the size of the type in this blog became so tiny I can hardly read it with my middle aged eyes. So I have been trying to compensate by putting in the type in a bigger font. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (and I cannot figure out why it sometimes works and sometimes not). I realized on someone else's computer yesterday that the normal sized type was fine on that computer, and the 14 sized type looks huge. I thought perhaps I should explain what is going on, in case anyone is wondering why the different sizes of type...

Today is gray and cold. We are supposed to get snow today and tomorrow, and perhaps over the weekend as well. Winter is trying to return. I hope it will be winter's last gasp before giving way to spring.

I've been trying to catch up on all of the housework I did not get done in going down to Indiana and in getting sick. Man, is there ever a lot of laundry. But I will work on it, and get some done every day. I have been spending a lot of time with the cats and the dog. Though nature does not realize it is spring, the pets do, and they are starting to shed, and need plenty of brushing. Matty and Tigger especially enjoy it.

I have been reading a chapter or two of Erikson's Deadhouse Gates in the mornings. It looks like it will be pretty good, but I do not have more time right now...at work I have been reading the classic Brave New World on my breaks. I have not read it since high school, it is good to reread it. I had forgotten a lot of it, but remember it as being chilling, which it still is.

One of my friends recently got back from Russia. He and his wife are adopting a little boy, a toddler, from that country. He has very interesting stories. He and his wife enjoyed their time in Moscow. He said that their hotel was very nice, that they were able to walk to Red Square and the Kremlin, and that the restaurants and amenities were fine. But he said that the little city in Siberia where the orphanage is located is "an education". They will be going back soon to pick up the little one, after  some more paperwork is completed.

No comments: