Monday, March 20, 2006

back to the "wonderful" world of work

Well, the cold is better today, and I made it into work and even lasted for my whole shift without coming home. So things are better. I spent the morning curled up in bed reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, which I am enjoying. Since he has a large cast of characters and a bit of a convoluted plot, you can tell that the headache was a lot better today for me to be able to read that particular book.

Going to Muncie was fine, other than the nasty cold. Spending time with Bill is always a joy. We drove down on Thursday afternoon, and on Friday morning had various tours and interviews at Ball State. We toured the Architecture school, the campus as a whole, ate lunch on campus, and then he had an interview with one of the professors at the Honors College. He enjoyed it, and enjoyed eating dinner at a nice Mexican restaurant and breakfast at a pancake house. We drove home Friday evening.

Yesterday I spent most of the day in bed trying to beat the cold. I did get up for a couple of hours in the evening so Dan and I could finish watching the last two hours of From the Earth to the Moon. We both enjoyed that miniseries, which brought such a nice human side to the Apollo space program.

Today it was back to work. One of my friends, Jim, cracked me up. He told me that he could tell I was tired and sick, but commented that I came in yet again with a big smile, and that the past few weeks I have seemed happier and more upbeat than I have in months. That did make me think about what has been different for me in the past month, and I realized that it must be due to getting out of that sort of warped relationship with that former friend. Now that I am not being treated like crap at random times for mysterious reasons, life is so much better. I should have taken Erik's advice and gotten rid of that person months ago...but there are so many good things about him I was reluctant to, at least until I finally realized the extent of his lying. And that was the final straw...so in the time since I have stayed away, have deleted the messages from him without reading them, and intend to stay very far away from now on. And I feel like five hundred pounds have been taken off of my shoulders.Such a relief!!!  It was just such a strange situation, and I am sure that I was probably much too lenient and forgiving. But that is the way that I am...for better or worse (in this case, definitely worse!)

This week will feature work, work, and more work. Followed by my baseline mammogram on Friday. But Dan is planning on going there with me (at my request) and we will go out to lunch afterwards.

One very happy note: I have two large areas of snow crocuses blooming today! One puddle of them is white, the other is yellow. And the moon was huge and glorious and low on the southern horizon tonight!

No comments: