Sunday, December 11, 2005

weekend; Dianne Reeves in concert

Yesterday was a wonderful day.

The drive to and from Onsted was so beautiful I hope I will always remember it. It was one lovely snowscape after another, as beautiful as holiday cards. We drove through rolling hills, by snow covered farms with deer and horses romping in the snowy meadows, and by numerous snow covered lakes lined with snow frosted evergreens.

Bill wrestled quite well in the tournament yesterday, going 4-1 for the day. His record this season is 8-3, and two of the three kids who have beaten him are previous state qualifiers. He's off to the best start he's had since he was a sophomore before he had that bad concussion. Going up a couple of weights seems to be helping him a lot. Eating food agrees with him.

Last night I got to hear Dianne Reeves in concert. She has a truly beautiful voice. She continues on with the magnificent jazz singing tradition begun by such greats as Ella Fitzgerald and Lena Horne. Her voice is the equal of theirs, and she might be an even finer scat singer than some of the past greats. She was wonderful in concert - her glorious singing, her regal beauty, the gentle and friendly stories she tells between songs.

Today Dan is pretty sick. He has Steven's cold from last week and Bill's diarrhea. Man oh man! I'm not feeling the greatest myself, and missed a night of work tonight (I am running a low grade fever and have a headache) but he's quite sick. He woke me up from my nap this afternoon by putting his forehead on my shoulder. His head was so hot it woke me up!

Nevertheless, the holiday things are going well. I have the cards ready to go, complete with holiday letter and Bill's senior picture. Dan is paying the bills tonight to spare me that. We need stamps, but that can be taken care of with one quick trip to the post office. Steven's band concert is tomorrow night, and I got his nice clothes ready and pressed, so he will be fine. I baked cookies, corn bread, cheddar-garlic biscuits, and brownies this weekend, so might have baking out of my system for a few days. So, other than people being ill, it was a good weekend. I even finally managed to finish that history book about France!

And other than wrapping gifts, we can relax and enjoy the holidays now.

No comments: