Thursday, September 1, 2005

Well, made it through the night at work, and even ate a bit of ice cream. . I must be on the mend if I can eat ice cream!

 

One more day of work, then then holiday weekend. I will be working Sunday and Monday, which is a shame, as some jazz greats like Bill Evans and Dave Brubeck will be playing at the Detroit Jazz Festival for free on Monday.  How I would have loved to go and hear them.

I will be busy planting more flowers on Friday. I am also planning on baking up a huge pan of macaroni and cheese and putting it into freezer bowls and dropping it off for my friend and her family (the girl whose father is so sick). She loves mac & cheese, and this way she can just pull a single serving out of her freezer and microwave it when she needs a quick comfort meal.

On Saturday, more flower planting. Dan promised me we could go out to another friend's house out in Dexter. He has a bunch of baby dogwood trees, and he told me to feel free to come out ot his place and dig up a couple of babies and bring them to my yard. If Bill comes with us, he can also check out my friend's Rolls Royce convertible. It's a truly gorgeous car, even though it doesn't run. My buddy bought it off of ebay, had to have it shipped from the west coast, and only drove it three times before the thing died on him. It's been sitting in his garage for a couple of years while he tries to track down the parts he needs to fix it. But it is a lovely car, and not something you see everyday, and I do think my 16 year old would greatly enjoy seeing it.

When I got back to work today it was to find forms for volunteering for deployment for disaster duty in my mailbox. Given the horrendous conditions down south, my heart tells me that I should volunteer to go, if they at all need me (I work in patient care in a federal hospital). But I am extremely allergic to mold, and it gets my asthma going immediately and strongly. You know with a flood like that, there will be mold everywhere. So I would probably be the one who would end up needing medical care. Also, do I have the right to risk my life for strangers, when I have two underage children? Do I have the right not to, if I am needed? Quite the moral question...Right now I am leaning towards putting my name on the volunteer list, but perhaps just for emergencies in a limited geographical area near home, so that if I ever am deployed, I won't be too far from home, and Dan and the kids can come and visit me, and I might even be able to have a day at home from time to time before the disaster cleanup ends. I feel like I am being selfish in not going even though I would be nuts to go with the allergy/asthma problem, and I need to talk to Dan about it if we are ever both home, awake, and healthy at the same time.  Luckily, I have until Sept. 16 to make up my mind and fill out the forms.

No comments: