Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Well, the pharmacist I work with who was called up was not flown out today after all. She's pulling her hair out, as she has coordinate child care, etc. and they haven't told her which day she is leaving or where she will be going (though chances are very high it'll be Mississippi). Yesterday she thought she'd be leaving today and flying to Jackson. Then in the late afternoon they said it might be on hold. Apparently someone is somewhere down in West Virginia and trying to coordinate this stuff nationwide. So now its sometime this week (though it might not happen at all) and is probably Mississippi (though it could be anywhere nationwide). I guess I can count my blessings that I haven't been called up yet, if its this disorganized!

Living day to day is probably good for me anyway. I tend to be an overplanner, so this has got to be a healthy change.

I think when the local grocery stores start getting bottled water in stock (there has been lots of relief drives in the area and all of the bottled water has been cleared out of the stores and sent down south) I will get some emergency supplies together and put them in a big plastic storage box in the basement. Bottled water, bandages, rubbing alcohol, bacitracin ointment, candles and matches, stuff like that. I am sure that the Red Cross has a list someplace on the internet. We do get occasional tornados and stuff.

I also have to remember to program  some phone numbers into my cell phone under ICE (in case of emergency) in case I ever get into a car wreck or something. I found out yesterday that police departments all over the country check people's cell phones for an entry of ICE for an emergency contact number.

No comments: