Wednesday, September 7, 2005

I itch so much. I have hives today where I didn't yesterday. Some of yesterday's hives are leaking a clear fluid, and others are scabbed over (I must have scratched them in my sleep). I am wearing the softest clothes that I have, which does help, but when I get back to work this afternoon, I will have to change into scrubs again, and that cloth was designed to chaffe and irritate skin, I swear it! I think I am running a fever, too. I'll give it one more day, then I will have to go to the doctor. There's not a whole lot of point in going to the doctor, as I am orally taking antihistamines and putting hydrocortisone cream on the hives -- the doctor won't be able to do much more than that, other than perhaps give me a prescription for a stronger cream.

The news is completely depressing, Thousands of people are probably dead. Tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) are now homeless. And the city, state, and federal governments are all in full spin mode, all of them blaming the others -- when it is very clear that every level of government completely failed -- especially failing the most vulnerable people in the very poor, the elderly, and the sick -- the ones most in need of care, help, and support. It is sickening.

No comments: