Monday, March 5, 2007

FEELING BETTER! WOO HOO!

Last night (Sunday) after work, I coughed up a huge and very hard wad of bloody goo out from my throat. Now, for most of the last three weeks I have felt that I am choking when I have lain down at night. Goo gets trapped in my throat and gets old and hard and rattles around in my throat like a chunk of gravel. This makes me cough AND gag, as it can start my gag reflex depending on where it gets stuck. This is part of why sleeping has been so difficult. But that nasty big (as big as my little finger from tip to the first joint) chunk I got out last night must have been the last of them! Because my throat almost instantaneously started feeling better, and I slept completely through the night. It felt so good to sleep! In fact, I felt like crawling into bed and getting about twenty more hours of uninterrupted sleep all day long!

I was talking to some nurses here in the hospital tonight and they are convinced that I had influenza rather than a cold. The symptoms I had with the initial infection, particularly the high fever and aches and chills all fit influenza rather than a cold. And the strain going around this year is supposed to be a particularly nasty one. They said I was very lucky to just get my asthma going as opposed to getting pneumonia or even having to be hospitalized or even dying - as those things could have easily happened with a bad influenza in an asthma patient. they could not believe that my doctor's office told me to go home and rest and come back in a week if I did not feel better. They said I could have died in that week!

Yesterday Dan and Steven went to the MMWA regional tournament in Holt. Steven came in second, so next Sunday he will be in the MMWA state championship in Clarkston. I will not be able to watch him; I will have to come to work.

Today I had physical therapy. Lots of strength training now. I only have three more visits. Bill and I might join a fitness center together this summer, as he wants to take off his "freshman twenty". Since he will be home next week, I will see if he is willing to come to one of the appointments with me, so he can see what sorts of exercises I need to do.

Man, work was busy beyond imaginings tonight. I NEED that twenty hours of sleep, but have to take a shower and get some lessons ready for Steven instead.

No comments: