Saturday, March 31, 2007

2007 Hugo nominees

http://www.nippon2007.us/hugo_nominees.php

As usual, since I read many paperbacks, I have only read a couple of the nominated works.

Naomi Novik's novel His Majesty's Dragon was a delight. A cool adventure story with some very touching and very charming moments. It is probably not dark enough to win.

I have also read the Neil Gaiman short story and actually think it was one of the less memorable stories in his short story collection Fragile Things. Perhaps the others have been previously published, and that is why this particular one was nominated instead?

Every year I try to read the novels that I can track down. This year will probably be no exception to that. The nomination list makes for a good short list for good new books published in the past year.

No comments: