Thursday, February 22, 2007

tired tired tired

It was a rough go at work tonight. We got a really super sick patient admitted to one of the intensive care units. It is amazing what one super sick patient can do to the workload! So no nice little chances to sit down and rest whenever needed tonight. Instead, when I would feel weak and dizzy, I would grab the nearest counter top and hang on until the bad bit passed, then hop right back to work. And everyone was in a bad mood- I walked in to one of the day shift people and the supervisor having a big fight (go to the office, people!!!) and things never got much better from there. So it was busy and intense and I really wasn't up to it - though somehow I made it through to the end of my shift, coughing up bloody goo periodically, then scrubbing down everything around me with 70% isopropyl alcohol. At least the stupid knee isn't too bad yet!

I was exhausted going in - it was hard staying awake to drive - it was really really bad driving home in the heavy fog. The fog is not freezing yet - that is probably what saved me!

Got home, fed the dog and cats, made myself eat a light dinner and drink some water (it is forcing myself, to either eat or drink, given how raw my throat is these days - I have not been able to talk for over a week now!), took a long and hot shower, now I will get to go join Dan in bed.

Tomorrow might be rough again, depending on how that one poor patient is doing. But it is only one more night, then I will have two days off.

I asked Dan again what he wants for his birthday on Friday; again, all he wants is for me to feel better! I asked him what he wants to do on his birthday. He wants to meet for lunch in the gap between my physical therapy and doctor's office appointments, and later have a quiet dinner at home (mention was made of ordering salad and pizza and garlic bread).

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be crazy again. Heavy fog tonight, which might turn into freezing fog again by morning. Possible freezing drizzle in the early morning. Snow showers later, with a 40MPH wind. I hope we keep our power! The last thing we need right now is to have to mess around with that generator to keep the furnace going.

No comments: