Thursday, February 22, 2007

spring is coming

The wind is roaring in the distance like a freight train. The ground is still covered with half a foot of snow. Yet, you can tell - spring is coming! The wind sounds like it is early March; at least half of the snow has melted over the last couple of days. And da boys are down in Lakeland now for spring training camp - yesterday I wore my Detroit Tigers sweatshirt as a sign of hope for spring and baseball and summer nights under the lights at Comerica.

Dan woke me up about 11AM to bring me breakfast in bed. He was very happy. He says it the first time he had seen me sleep deeply and well in over a week - just lying there peacefully without coughing and gagging and gasping for air.  He wanted me to eat and sleep for two more hours after breakfast! "You cannot sleep late tomorrow - you have physical therapy in the morning." But I am awake now; still tired, but better than I have felt in some days.

I still cannot talk, though. Steven does not even bother bringing me the cell phone when it rings anymore - I cannot talk to answer it or to return the calls I have gotten.  Hopefully the people who have left me voice mails can wait until I have a voice again!

Dan said again this morning that he wants no gifts and no cake for his birthday. He only wants me to feel better, to eat lunch with me in between my medical appointments, and to have a peaceful dinner at home. That makes me feel sort of bad - I would love to try to make a big fuss out of him - but it is his birthday, and a landmark birthday, so I will give him as he wishes to the best that I can.

I do not feel up to going in to work tonight; not at all. Not even a little bit. But I will try. It is my Friday - hopefully I can make it there and make it through.

No comments: