Saturday, February 24, 2007

Dan turning 50!

Well, yesterday was the big day. Dan turned 50!

We met for lunch in between my physical therapy appointment and my doctor's appointment. We went to Bennigan's, as they have a pretty decent baked potato soup there, so I could get soup (something I can eat without much trouble) and Dan could get pretty much anything else he wanted - which turned into a huge burger, with a platter of french fries! He wasn't even able to eat the whole thing, and had part of it boxed, and gave it to me, as he was heading in to work, and thought I would be getting home first and could toss it in the frige for him.

Then he headed to work (he had to set up a pump on the flat roof of a commercial building to pump hundreds of gallons of snow melt off the roof where it was pooling thanks to frozen drains) and I headed to the doctor.

I was in there for over 1 1/2 hours. Part of that was for my annual pap & pelvic (where everything looked perfectly healthy - which was a big relief after the DES revelation last month), but most of it was because of this cold. My lungs sounded so bad that at first they thought it might be pneumonia, and were debating whether or not to send me in for chest x-rays. Then the lungs responded well enough to the nebulizer treatment, that they decided that my asthma is completely out of control right now because of the rotten cold I have had. So they put me on flovent and sent me home with instructions to come in immediately if I spike a temp or get even a tiny bit sicker, as this could pretty easily turn into pneumonia. Nice, eh? Especially since I was in there last week and they sent me home without even listening to my lungs, telling me I had a cold and to take it easy and come back in a week if I still felt bad. Sometimes life can be frustrating.

But I was really happy when I got home - Bill was here! He had come home for the weekend to surprise his daddy!

So I changed into my nightgown and dozed on the couch while the kids played Nintendo and laughed.

After awhile Dan came home, unbelievably cold and soaked to the skin from having to deal with the pump and the snow melt. Poor man - what a way to spend your birthday!

After he felt warm again, I got dressed and we all went out to dinner at a little diner near here (Harvest Moon Cafe) with good food, that he really likes. I got chili, which really hit the spot, Steven got chicken fingers, and Dan and Bill got huge sandwiches.

Then we came home and the two old farts retreated to bed, so we can both try to get better from this cold - in bed there is plenty of warmth and rest.

 

No comments: