Thursday, February 15, 2007

I have lost a day of my life...

Last weekend I started coming down with the symptoms of the bad cold that Steven and Dan have had lately. On Tuesday night, they started getting really bad. And since my bad knee was swollen up to twice the size of the not-bad knee, I decided to come on home in the near-blizzard we were having that night.

All day yesterday is just a blur of impressions. I know I did not go to work (hopefully I remembered to call in sick!). I can remember napping in bed in the afternoon, asleep in a pool of sunlight. I can remember trying to do my physical therapy exercises and not being able to, as the cold has my asthma going. I remember Dan bringing home some flowers. I was lost in a fog of fever from Tuesday night until I woke up this morning with a much clearer head. One good thing I can remember is that my knee did not hurt yesterday - since my entire body ached from head to toe from the high fever, the knee pain was swallowed up in the rest!

I also missed most of the bad storm, with all of the snow and winds. Other than driving home in the winds and driving snow Tuesday night, I must have slept through the rest of it.

I was really surprised driving to the doctor's office this morning, at how much snow and ice is still in the road, and that they were still pulling cars out of ditches this morning from a Tuesday night storm!

I am going to try to go into work tonight, as I am no longer running a fever. We will see. Then I will have four days off, with near complete bed rest for three of those days! We might or might not see the play we have tickets for on Sunday - as I told Dan, if I am still coughing nonstop it would not be fair for the cast or the rest of the audience for me to attend. We will see.

They started me on a mild diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide, better known as HCTZ) today for mild high blood pressure. They found that when I went in for the bad knee. I feel as though my entire body is falling apart right now between the knee, this horrible cold, and now the blood pressure thing. I will not start taking the pills until tomorrow when I do not have to go to work. I do not know how much they will make me pee, so starting them on day one of a four day weekend sounds like a pretty good idea!

Steven is doing great - I think he is pretty well recovered from the cold. Dan is still all snorts and sniffs and coughs and snores. I think I will be sleeping in Bill's room for the next couple of nights, just so that we do not keep each awake all night again with the sounds of respiratory distress.

No comments: