Monday, February 12, 2007

champagne for breakfast

Saturday morning we got up early and headed down to Toledo. The tournament was in this warehouse sort of area downtown, in part of something called the Erie Street Market. Weirdest place I have ever seen a wrestling tournament held, but it was nice visiting the Libbey Glass Outlet store and getting hot chai latte at the little coffee place in the antique mall.

Dan and I headed out for what was supposed to be a couple of hours and turned into about four hours to my friend's house. It was about a ten minute drive.

It was wonderful seeing him and his wife again. The food was good - one of their hobbies is gourmet cooking - the company was wonderful, and the first time in my life I experienced the decadence of drinking champagne for breakfast! I told Dan that if we ever both have the day off from work and the kids are both out of the house we shall have to do that at home one morning - bring out the fine china and crystal, cook delicious food for each other - drink champagne, and spend the rest of the day relaxing alone together.

It was wonderful seeing John and Barb again! I wish that there was some way he could transfer back here from Vegas!

The tournament took a long time once we returned there. We got home long after dark, and my knee ached. Steven did well, though - he came in fourth and beat some very high quality kids to do so. The only two kids who beat him were both on Team Ohio, who represent their state in national championships, so there is certainly no shame in those losses - and he lost by a small number of points in those two matches, too.

When we got home, one of Steven's friends came over for the night. I stayed up sort of late so I could get in both sets of exercises. I am determined to make the pain stop - or at least to minimize it!

No comments: