Wednesday, February 8, 2006

what a bad week this is becoming

Bill was back in school today, though he still felt very very weak. I went back to work again tonight, though I am still having the kidney screams in my back, and am having occasional dizzy spells. How much do we have to keep drinking to finally re hydrate ourselves, for heaven's sake? I felt like I was moving in slow motion all day today...

Apparently this stuff is going around the area right now, and is causing all sorts of problems. A restaurant in Ann Arbor had to temporarily close because so many of its employees were sick with it, a middle school in a neighboring county had to close, and a restaurant in Lansing had some sick employees come into work, and they infected something like 350-400 people. It is a norovirus which causes this:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/faq.htm

On top of the health issues, JACHO (the national hospital accreditation group) arrived at my employer today for a surprise inspection and will be there until Friday. It is always extremely stressful to have them around, though possibly not as bad as the US Inspector General. Actually, it would be very hard to choose which one is worse to deal with...

And the worst news of all is that my friend will be losing his two sons. My friend and his lovely wife became foster parents many many months ago to two little boys (a baby and a toddler) who had been taken from their biological "parents" because they were abused. My friend and his wife love the two little ones as much as any words could ever express. They had hoped to permanently adopt them. But the courts are apparently going to hand them back to the abusive "parents".

Such things can drive you mad with fury and grief if you think about them too much.

No comments: