Wednesday, February 15, 2006

silly sensitive son; talking to sister

Well, even though Bill has not wrestled in two weeks due to being so sick (he is finally starting to get his appetite back, which is one of the signs to recovery from the virus we all had) when they ran the stats to find out which kids on the high school team have the best records so they can send the top 14 to individual districts, he came up. He is number 13. The problem is that two kids came in for a tie for the fourteenth and last spot, and one of them has to somehow be eliminated.

Bill is all torn up inside. He is a senior, and wants that one last chance to get on the mat. But he feels bad for those two kids, and is seriously considering withdrawing so one of them can take his place. Added to that, he does not feel as if he will wrestle at all well, given the fact that he has not wrestled in a while. So he feels that it might be better for the team if he does not wrestle.

Sometimes I think my poor son has a too highly developed sense of fairness. He is really going to get screwed over multiple times in his life. But no one could be prouder of a child than I am of Bill; even at his young age, he knows what is truly important, even at the expense to self.

One of my sisters called this morning. She lives a couple of hours from here in northern Oakland county. They all just had the Norwalk virus as well. Her husband had to hospitalized for five days as he got very sick from it. But they are all recovering as well.

Given how this virus has swept through the state and gotten so many people sick; given that hundreds of people were infected at that one restaurant alone - I am very cynical about the bird flu if it ever mutates to be passed from person to person. The public health officials seem to have done nothing at all about this Norwalk virus. How will the bird flu be any different? And that is much more fatal.

I know Bill does not want a traditional open house or party when he graduates from high school in June. But after talking to my sister, I think I want to ask just my sisters (and their spouses if applicable) to come for that weekend. I have to find out from the high school if they allow unlimited family members to come to the ceremony before I can ask them. I do not want people to come from out of state and not be able to attend the ceremony.But that is something I can easily find out.

No comments: