Saturday, February 25, 2006

back to the hot gym ;-)

Today was a long day, but a good day. Dan and Bill helped out at the high school regional tournament that was held at our high school.

Steven wrestled for the first time in about two months at a tournament in Bedford. Going in, I only hoped that he would not get injured again, as he has had so many injuries this winter. I knew that there would be some very good kids at his weight, and that he would be out of shape and rusty because of his injuries. He surprised everyone, including himself, and won the bloody thing. He beat some very high quality kids in doing so, too.

I was also glad that I went because a kid from another team had an asthma attack and did not have his albuterol rescue inhaler with him. Luckily I had mine (which reminds me that I have to go wash it because the kid had it in his mouth) and after a couple of puffs the kid felt a lot better, and started breathing more normally. He had been injured, he was in pain, and he panicked; a perfect recipe for an asthma attack. Then the asthma and the pain and the panic and the fear all fed off of each other...and you have a kid who is too freaked out to remember how to breathe. The albuterol opens up all of the little passages in the lungs and helps you get in more air; and the act of puffing on the inhaler, knowing that you can breathe again in a moment, always helps mentally and emotionally!

I am happy because Dan went out for some bar food and a beer (or two) with some of the other coaches and parents tonight after the regionals. He doesn't go out and have fun enough; I am always nagging him to go out more often with his friends. Tonight he did, and that makes me glad. I am relaxing with the kids and the kitties, and have been listening to music and relaxing and reading and relaxing. I am going to take a bath in some hot tea in a few minutes. (They actually make huge tea bags you put in your bath tub - the tea is great for your skin and your hair!) Because of my crazy work schedule, I only get two evenings at home in a typical week - this is a particularly relaxing and pleasant one.

No comments: