Saturday, February 11, 2006

peaceful day; Winter Olympics

Ended up having a very peaceful day today, which was much needed and much appreciated. Dan and the boys headed down to the high school to help run a middle school wrestling tournament (I knew Bill was probably done for the season - today was the high school league championships, and the coach didn't even let him come along to watch). I stayed home, slept in very late, built a huge fire in the fireplace downstairs (the downstairs is warm for the first time in weeks ~ bliss!), and paid the bills.  It took me over six hours to sort through all of the mail and pay the bills.  No wonder it is high on the list of household tasks, right after cleaning toilets, of least favorite tasks. It takes nearly a full work day!

It gently snowed all day long today - it was wonderful to watch it through the window as I worked. It was lovely, just lovely.

This evening Steven volunteered to cook dinner (he took a pizza out of the freezer and baked it - but hey, if someone else is cooking I will not complain ). It smelled so good baking that I actually got hungry for the first time in over a week! I think I might finally be on the mend. I was careful to be sipping on drinks all day; that probably helped a lot.

Tonight we got a chance to see a bit of the Winter Olympics.  I love the Winter Games. Most of the sports are just so much fun to watch! Ice hockey, Alpine skiing, snow boarding, ski jumping, all three of the sled sports...I could go on and on! The snowscapes in the mountains are always so lovely! The only sport I cannot stand is the figure skating. It is not a true sport in my eyes, and the crooked judging does not help. And the dopey, hideous costumes with all of the shiny fabric and sequins are just plain tacky and ugly. Unfortunately, they are showing some figure skating tonight, but it is balanced by some luge and moguls and later they will have some speed skating.

No comments: