Friday, February 17, 2006

stormy night

It has been a very stormy and rainy night. When I left work the road was flooded near the hospital. Luckily, the police (or someone) had marked the flooded spot with flares. Otherwise you might not have been able to see it. It was a dark night, the road was black, and the water over the road was black. It was fairly deep water, too - it came up to the running boards of the Jeep. I do not know if cars could safely get through it.

We were lucky here. To the west in Jackson county, and to the south, near the border with Ohio, there were tornado watches. A couple of hours to the north around Saginaw Bay there are ice storm warnings. Further north than that and there are blizzard warnings. We have had heavy rain, and are under high wind warnings overnight. I think we got the best of a very bad storm.

Bill is now finished with wrestling. He decided to give his spot at individual districts to another person. After six years of working his butt off, he gives away his last chance to wrestle in his senior year. I am amazed by him. I only hope the kid who gets his place will appreciate it (though I suspect, in the way of such things, no one other than I and his father and brother will). However, he can now freely eat for the first time in his teen years, and I think that will make him happy.

We had a potluck at work tonight and I stopped off at the gourmet grocery store and picked up some rosemary foccacio bread and some wonderful very sharp two year old Canadian cheddar. I saw this micro brew there that made me laugh my head off. It was from a brewery in Cleveland and the beer was called "Burning River". The box had a picture of Cleveland with the Cuyahoga River on fire, as it once did due to its high pollution content.

I am about to take a nice hot shower, then cuddle with Dan, and fall asleep snuggled up next to him while listening to the wind roaring in the trees.

 

No comments: