Sunday, January 22, 2006

a sunny Saturday spent throwing up (yuck!)

Well, the big snow storm passed to the north of us. We got many hours of heavy rain, but only a dusting of snow. I am very happy we went to Evanston last weekend, when the weather was lovely. Evanston reportedly got a huge snowfall last night...but today was chilly but beautiful here. The sun was out for most of the afternoon, and that was most welcome!

I did not go to either of today's wrestling tournaments. I was told that the trainer cleared Steven at the last moment this morning, and he had three matches that he won with pins. I was told that Bill wrestled very well, including a very tough win in overtime.

I spent the day throwing up. It has been going around the high school wrestling team, so one of the kids probably carried the germs home to me (though I am very happy neither of them has had it). But having the house to myself gave me a chance to get a lot of housework done, even though I spent part of the time leaning over garbage cans. So it was OK.

I also finally found the time to finish my Mahler quest, with the Fourth Symphony, which was quite beautiful - and also his Tenth, unfinished Symphony. I truly enjoy all of Mahler's symphonies, but my heart is especially taken by his Fifth, First, Second, Sixth, and Ninth. I also really like the lovely first movement to the Eighth. Perhaps I do not have quite enough patience for his slower and more melodic efforts, as most of my favorites are his more passionate and fiery ones. Given time, perhaps I will grow into the more quiet and thoughtful works.

Right now, I am only hoping my stomach calms down in time for tomorrow afternoon's jazz concert. It is something I am very much looking forward to.

No comments: