Thursday, January 5, 2006

passing around germs

Well, we've been passing around germs again. I'm getting both sad and exasperated with everyone getting sick again and again. I'm down about being sick, too. The cold is better, though still lingering, and now we're all getting this nasty intestinal thing that has been sweeping through the area. Tonight it is my turn. I expect I will be up for hours running to the bathroom, so I am just going to pull an all-nighter and pay bills and take care of stuff like that tonight.

Before the latest gut wrenching thing hit me, I did get some errands done before work today. I went to Borders with my gift card and here is my loot:

books:

by Alexander McCall Smith:

The Sunday Philosophy Club

Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

jazz albums:

John Coltrane ~ Live at the Village Vanguard; The Master Tapes

Arturo Sandoval ~ Trumpet Evolution

classical albums:

Beethoven ~ Fidelio (highlights)

Mozart ~ The Marriage of Figaro (highlights)

Mozart ~ The Magic Flute (highlights)

Mendelssohn ~ A Midsummer Night's Dream & Symphony No. 4 (Italian)

Messiaen ~ Music for the End of Time

As you can see, I made a good haul. It will probably take me a good month to work my way through all of that music alone.

The bar owner from up the street dropped by today. The post office had delivered our income tax rebate check to her bar rather than our house. So she left her busy business this afternoon and personally brought it down, as she could tell from the envelope that it contained money. I was very impressed by her kindness!

There really are an amazing number of kind and decent people in the world. Makes life worth living when all is said and done.

Bill printed out some of his architecture projects at school (he has been designing a house for a contest in architectural design in Monroe County) and brought them home to be added to his portfolio. It is all ready to go now and will be mailed down to Muncie tomorrow.

That just leaves scholarship forms and contests to go. The first contest will be at Western Michigan University the last Saturday of this month, when he will be competing for a full scholarship. I think I will drive him there on Friday (or we could take the train if the weather is really bad) and we will spend the night in Kalamazoo after visiting the engineering school. The contest is on Saturday, and we can drive home afterwards.

No comments: