Friday, January 20, 2006

busy busy busy

It was another very busy week at work. Our patient census is very high, and some of the patients are extremely sick and need a lot of extra care. In addition, we are in the process of changing over narcotic dispensing machines from those made by Pyxis to those made by Omni-Cell. So we are having to help get the new machines ready to go to the clinics and nursing units and learn the new technology. It was a rough week, but most of us are doing OK. One of my coworkers seems stressed out to the point of possibly having problems, but I think she will be fine, too, once things calm down a bit with the new machines.

It was a busy day today, as well. I took Steven to Mott Children's Hospital for his last check up for his head injury he got wrestling right before Christmas. He is doing just fine.

After I took him back to school, I ran into town. I had to go to the post office, as the price of stamps went up and we did not have any of the new ones. I saw Dan's truck parked across the street from the post office, so went over and found him working on a roof. I checked on him (he has not been feeling well the last few days, went to the doctor yesterday, and will have to go get another butt scoping to see if the polyps in his colon are what is causing all of his abdominal pain). He was doing OK this afternoon, and all of this will give me a good excuse to feed him more vegetables and whole grains.

I then stopped off at the bakery to see if they had any of their delicious cheese bread. They did not have cheese bread, but they did have salt rising bread and whole wheat bread, so I got a loaf of both.

After that the grocery store. I got a lot of breakfast foods so we can eat a huge breakfast on Sunday, as we so like to do. I got maple sausage links, brown eggs, lots of cheese and other stuff like mushrooms for omelets, canned biscuits, bagels and low fat cream cheese, precut hash browns, grits, and cottage cheese. We shall feast!

I also have a huge craving right now for vegetable soup, so I got the stuff to make a big crock pot full. I got a few cans of chicken broth for the base of the soup, and a can of sweet corn kernels and of white Italian kidney beans. I also threw in a couple of handfuls of dried whole wheat rotini noodles. Everything else will be fresh (I have them steaming now, and will add them to the chicken broth when they are cooked) - Yukon gold potatoes, baby carrots, celery, broccoli, green onion, fresh cloves of garlic, cauliflower, and asparagus. Yummy! So far the only seasoning I have added is black pepper. I am waiting to see how much flavor the onions and fresh garlic will add before I get too crazy with spices.

I also got stuff to make a huge bowl of green salad for tonight's dinner, and some stuff to take to the wrestling tournaments tomorrow (clementines and sports drinks).

Tomorrow Bill will be at a varsity tournament in Chelsea and Steven at a middle school tournament in Dexter. Provided we do no get too much snow tonight, of course. We could get as much as 6-8 inches, in which case one or both tournaments might be cancelled if the roads get bad. The recent death of that fire fighter who was responding to the traffic accident on I-94 in the ice storm two Saturdays ago is haunting everyone in this area. She was so young, and very recently married. Such a tragedy...

I will have another vacation day on Sunday, as we have tickets to go see the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra perform Johnny Coltrane's jazz symphony A Love Supreme that afternoon. We will probably go out to eat a nice dinner as well. Something interesting and spicy would be welcome. Perhaps Thai, Indian, or Ethiopian would be very good.

 

No comments: