Saturday, January 8, 2005

Well, real life has a bad way of interrupting any and all plans.

I did get the oil changed yesterday, and enjoyed an excellent lunch. Then I came home and gave myself the rare treat of a hot bath (I usually only have time for quick showers). So that all went well.

Then I got a call from Dan, who told me that Steven had been hurt in wrestling practice. He had hit his head pretty badly. So it was off to the emergency room for a few hours, while they ruled out a concussion. The CT scan came back clean, so they sent us home. Stevie will be fine, other than perhaps a headache for a few days. Thank God.

This morning we were supposed to get a dusting of snow. It somehow turned into six inches that no one expected, so none of the road crews were out. Dan and other parents drove the wrestling team down to Monroe for the big tournament, only to find out that it had been cancelled, and that the hosting high school had not called any of the participating teams (we were not the only team my any means to make the long drive on the awful roads). So that was bad.

But  I got to have a quiet day at home with both of my children, which was nice. I feel like flat soda pop today, and have no energy or motivation, probably an after affect of the emergency room last night. So the quiet day was good to have. Dan was gone most of the day doing snow removal, which will give him thousands of dollars for one day's work. It wipes him out, though.

And my friend from New York called. It sounds like the summer trip is the one that will fit the best into everyone's schedule. It was nice to hear such a friendly voice on the phone, too. Friends are a treasure.

I finished the last of the Nevada Barr books. High Country involved drugs and brutal murder at Yosemite National park in California. I'm not sure what to read next. As I said, I'm a bit burned out and mentally dull today.

 

No comments: