Saturday, August 19, 2006

Eight Below

Steven and I just got finished watching Eight Below. I am trying to watch my three Netflix movies this weekend, so I can hopefully have the first couple of discs of the Ken Burns mini series The Civil War on hand for Wednesday, as a supplement to the Civil War books Steven has begun reading. Last night I watched one, Eight Below was the second of the three.

We did enjoy it. It told the story of a team of sled dogs who were unintentionally left behind when a scientific base in Antarctica had to be evacuated due to a medical and weather emergency. It was intended that the dogs would be picked up right away as soon as the injured humans were taken out - but the brutal winter weather moved in, and no one could go back for the dogs. It is heart wrenching when bad things begin to happen to the dogs...you really do pull for them to survive until spring.

I think Dan is also bothered by Bill being gone, though he will, of course, not admit it. The entire time we were in Indiana his customers were all calling him about work. He said he would get to them Friday afternoon, but he stayed at home with me and Steven yesterday. And then this morning, he was sad and quiet, and I pretty much had to push him out the door. I am still sad, too - but watching the two movies was a nice escape. And now I will try to read ahead to come up with more questions for The Iliad and for astronomy. We shouldn't be so silly - we will get to see out big guy for four days over Labor Day weekend. And I have a whole week off in November, and I was planning on going to see him for at least part of that week.

Now it is time to go call my friend John, though, and see how he is doing!

No comments: