Monday, April 21, 2008

what I'm reading

My latest slog of a science fiction read has been the Hugo nominee Ian McDonald's Brasyl. The author throws in tons of Portuguese words and tons more of Brazilian slang - at least 2/3 of which does not appear in the glossary in the back of the book. :razz: There are three main characters - an obnoxious (I believe this is intentional, as no one could EVER create a character so irritating on accident!) woman who produces reality television shows in our present day ; a petty thief who lives in a future where quantum computers are beginning to take hold; and an Irish Jesuit warrior priest who lives in the 1700's about to embark on a dangerous mission to catch a renegade priest somewhere in the Brazilian rain forests. Thus far the priest's story is the only one which has captured my interest - other than wishing the TV producer would die a terrible death. ;)

Once he begins to knit the three story lines together (which I believe the quantum stuff will allow him to do) I think I will enjoy the book more.

In the meantime, the latest book by Iain Banks is trying to seduce away from Brasyl - Matter keeps whispering to me in a little soft sexy voice from its place in the TBR pile-
Quote:
Don't you want to read me instead?


And while cleaning the house this weekend I hit the bonanza - and found a bunch of my old Arthur C. Clarke books. In addition to 2001 and Rendezvous with Rama, I also found Childhood's End, Songs of Distant Earth, and Imperial Earth. I did not find the sequels to either of the first two books, but that's OK, as I never liked the sequels to 2001 or Rama anywhere nearly as much as the originals. ;)

Looks like a Clarke reread after the Elric/Moorcock reread. :)

No comments: