Wednesday, April 4, 2007

yikes!

Things are in a bit of disarray here today.

I was woken up this morning by a huge earth shaking crashing noise. I looked out my bedroom window, saw nothing, so thought everything was probably OK. Got up, was about to eat some breakfast and looked out the window at the back of the house.

A huge oak tree had come down in our backyard and was completely blocking the little side street our driveway opens out into. It had also taken out out one of the cars belonging to the neighbor across the little side street. Shocked Shocked Shocked

The police were already on the scene, shortly followed by two road crews. I talked to them, and they piled up the tree parts in the ditch on the side of the road. I told them we would use the wood for firewood next winter, so they were happy - they only needed to cut the tree up to get it out of the road, and not have to come back with the huge chipper or otherwise haul the wood away.

I am sad to see the tree go - it was a really nice big tree, and it was still alive. There are buds all over the branches.

But we will have plenty of firewood for next winter - and nice long burning hardwood at that. All we have to do is drag it up next to the garage and start a wood pile. And Dan will have to cut up what is left of the trunk in our yard - a good 20-30 foot section, very thick (I could not get my arms around this tree as it was so big).

If Bill comes home for Easter weekend I know how he can burn off some of his "freshman fifteen". Wink Smile

I just wish that the neighbors would come home, so that I could talk to them about their broken car. I do not know if it is something that their insurance would cover, or if it would be something my insurance would cover? Confused

And to top everything off, the washing machine died, so I cannot wash any clothes.

 

And it is spitting snow today, and there is a strong and very cold wind. Very unpleasant reminder that winter is not quite done with us yet!

No comments: