Thursday, April 19, 2007

a bit down

I have been a bit down the last couple of days. In part because my knee hurts and I do not deal well with pain.

But, as the mother of a college freshman living out of state, the horrible mass killing down at Virginia Tech earlier this week really bothered me.

I called Bill on the day it happened just to hear his voice.

My mind and heart cannot comprehend the sudden and horrific loss of so many young lives.

My heart breaks when I think of the families and friends of the lost.

I cry whenever I think of the professor who had survived the Holocaust only to die in such a way. He blocked the class room door with his own elderly body so that his students could escape through the windows. To survive the Nazis, only to be butchered by a madman on a spring day on what should have been a peaceful college campus.  He was a true hero and his death is a loss to all of humanity.

And all of those young, bright lives lost. I cannot comprehend it, either mentally or emotionally.

No comments: