Sunday, May 7, 2006

thank God for the weekend

Well, Thursday night at work was every bit as bad as I had been dreading/fearing it might be. I am not sure how I managed to make it through, but somehow I did. I do not want to talk about it anymore.

The weekend has been pleasant, though today was a bit chilly. We will be getting a frost tonight, so I am glad I did not jump the gun on getting the more perishable plants for the garden yet (like peppers and tomatoes and annual herbs).

Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, and in this area of the country it means that many people eat Mexican (or Tex-Mex) food. We had a nice family dinner with chips and salsa, tacos, Spanish rice, refried beans, and sweet corn cakes. It was pretty yummy.

I spent the day resting from the nightmarish week at work and grocery shopping. I also went to the nursery and got three blueberry bushes (to replace the one that died over the winter and a couple of bonus bushes that looked very healthy) and two blackberry vines that are very lush and healthy looking. That trip to the nursery tempted me greatly to get vegetable plants and herbs for the garden, but with tonight's frost, I am very glad I did not give in to that temptation.

Today was sunny and lovely, but chilly. We went to Steven's soccer game this afternoon, down in Tecumseh, and poor Steven took a hard shot in his private area. Poor kid grabbed himself and went instantly down on his knees. He's OK now, though.

We got home in time to watch the Kentucky Derby, and then we had a southern style dinner to celebrate Derby Day. We had salad, barbecue, mashed potatoes (with six cheeses mixed into the potatoes), black eyed peas, and honey cornbread.

This weekend Bill has been studying for his upcoming AP tests in American government and chemistry, and I helped him get some paperwork ready to send off to Ball State about his room and board and freshman orientation. Steven played soccer today and will play again tomorrow and again Monday. Dan has been working. I rested as much as I humanly could. The dog has spent most of his time sleeping, as he usually does these days. The cats have been cuddling and purring a lot.

Tomorrow Dan and bill will burn what is left of last fall's leaves. I might escape to Ann Arbor early to get away from the smoke.

No comments: