Sunday, October 2, 2005

Had a nice day and evening today. Spent the day with the kids. We made plans to go down to Ball State University for the weekend of my birthday. We might even see a football game while we're down there and go to a tailgate, courtesy of the admissions office. While we're down there, we might also visit the campus of Purdue.

Then I spent a very pleasant evening in the company of Dan. We went out to eat at a very nice sea food restaurant called the Gandy Dancer, went to hear the great Sonny Rollins play a concert at the acoustically perfect Hill Auditorium, then soaked for an hour at the hot tub gardens.

The Sonny Rollins concert was interesting. He was showing every one of his 75 years and then some. He has a slender man, with a bit if a hunch, and a white beard. He seemed either reserved or perhaps shy. Often he played with his back to the audience. Sometimes when he played he was completely hunchbacked. He reminded me of the Southwestern god Kokopelli (other than Rollins playing a saxophone rather than a flute).  His quintet consisted of very talented musicians, and he was often content to let them play while he got a bit of rest. So there was this little old man -- and when he played he was breathtaking in his power and talent! Holy cow!  Like with the Dave Brubeck concert last year, I feel both very lucky and very privaleged to hear such living legends. I hope that when I am in my 80's like Brubeck, or 75 like Rollins, I can still be doing what makes me happy. I hope that I can bring such breath taking beauty into the lives of others!

No comments: