Sunday, June 19, 2005

Lately I have been reading a book I picked up at the Canyon de Chelly gift store when I was there with Danlo and my family last summer. :) The book is called The Pollen Path; A Collection of Navajo Myths as retold by Margaret Schevill Link. :)

Besides the myths, there are also some poems used in religious ceremonies in the back. Here are some favorites:

The Dreamer (about to be taken permanently away to the world of the gods) says farewell to his brother at the end of the Night Chant:
Quote:
Farewell, my younger brother.
The Gods have come for me.
From the high, holy places
The far, mysterious ones have come.
You will never see me again.
But when the showers pass over you
And the thunders sound,
You will say,
'There is the voice of my elder brother.'
And when the harvests ripen,
And you hear the voices of birds,
Of beautiful birds of all kinds,
And the singing of the grasshoppers,
You will say
'There is the ordering of my older brother.
There is the trail of his mind.'


Song of the Horse
Quote:
My feet are made of mirage,
My bridle of strings of the sun.
My mane is like the white lightning.
My tail is like long black rain.
My eyes are big, spreading stars,
My teeth are of the white shell.
My belly is white as dawnlight.
My heart is of everlasting garnet.



The Bluebird Song
Quote:
He has a voice.
He has a beautiful voice.
The bluebird has a voice
That flows in gladness.
Just at daybreak he calls.
The bluebird calls.


Song of the Young War God
Quote:
I have gone to the end of the earth.
I have gone to the end of the waters.
I have gone to the end of the sky.
I have gone to the end of the mountains.
I have found no one who was not my friend.


the end of a healing prayer:

Quote:
The world before me is restored in beauty.
The world behind me is restored in beauty.
The world above me is restored in beauty.
The world below me is restored in beauty.
All things around me are restored in beauty.
My voice is restored in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.

    

No comments: