Sunday, June 26, 2005

Braved the terrible heat (am still exhausted from it) and went to an outdoor concert last night featuring Los Lonely Boys and Carlos Santana.

Had a great time, other than the heat. It was well up in the 90's and very humid, and most of the people in the crowd were at least half naked. It was either a sell-out or so close to make no difference, and we were packed into the lawn like sardines. Luckily the people right behind me were dancing wildly quite often as the night went on, and they kept splashing me with ice cold beer. icon_cool.gif It felt very good. icon_lol.gif

The opening act was a band called the Salvador Santana Band. They were alright. They combined sort of a Latino rock with rap.

Then came Los Lonely Boys, and they were great. icon_cool.gif The two guys on guitar were awesome. icon_cool.gif

Then came Santana, and what can you say? He played a mixture of his newer hits like Maria, Maria and Smooth, as well as some of his old classic hits like Black Magic Woman.

The best part, which made me laugh from sheer happiness, was when he had Los Lonely Boys come out and join his band, along with the keyboard player from the Doors. They kind of all jammed for awhile, then started playing the opening movement from John Coltrane's jazz symphony A Love Supreme, which is one of my favorite jazz pieces. icon_cool.gif icon_cool.gif icon_cool.gif

We got home at one in the morning (we live to the southwest of Detroit - Pine Knob is to the north of Detroit, and about a two hour drive) and found out that, thanks to a passing storm, all of the electricity had been knocked out to our area. Luckily, I keep a maglight in my Jeep. I went on to bed while my husband set up the generator for the refrigerator. But since we have a well with an electric pump, I had to wait until this morning to wash off the sweat, beer in my hair, and the variety of ashes I got covered with at the concert. razz.gif razz.gif
razz.gif

No comments: