Saturday, March 22, 2008

An Evening in the Emergency Room

So, after a wonderful and stress free week of vacation, I went back to work last Sunday. And immediately got sick with stress diarrhea. I had promised myself the last time I had bloody diarrhea that I would go in the next time, so I ended up in the emergency room at UM hospital. They drew a bunch of blood for labs, and also urine. they gave me normal saline intravenously for fluids, as I was dehydrated. They thought I probably have something called diverticulitis, and said I had a choice of spending he night there so they could run me through a CT scan and schedule a butt scoping, or I could go home after getting my fluids, and follow up with my doctor. I chose the latter, needless to say.

So the last week has really sucked. I did go to the doctor, and they are going to try to treat the stress diarrhea mainly through diet. So I have to eat only nasty bland crap like plain white rice and applesauce and plain toast until my guts get somewhat normal. This is almost like a form of torture for a foodie. And ever I have tried to advance my diet through something still bland but with a bit more fiber like plain mashed potatoes, I get the runs again. But i am two days diarrhea free right now, and last night I ate some soup made of broth and plain noodles. And that went OK. Maybe in a week or so I can eat salad and drink milk again - two things I have been super craving.

No comments: