Thursday, July 20, 2006

power is back! YAY!

We had some thunderstorms come through on Monday night. They had some pretty strong wind gusts come along with them. As I drove home, branches of various sizes littered the roads.

More storms came through over the course of the night. At some point while we were alseep, our electricity went out, and it stayed out for a long time (until late Tuesday night). It's bad when that happens, because we have a well, and our little generator, while perfect for running the refrigerator, is not strong enough to run the pump. So we cannot wash dishes or clothes, bathe or shower, brush our teeth, or flush the toilets.

On Tuesday we had no power, and half of day shift called in at work, and I did end up going in early. What a bad day.

Today was better. I had a shower so I felt human. Work was quiet for the first time in what seems like weeks. The Inspector General people have not come to my department yet. Since tomorrow is their last day, maybe they won't. The hives on my face (I got them while scrubbing shelves at work on Sunday night and was exposed to a bit too much dust) are healing. Life is so much better!

One of the nurses at my hospital is in the army reserves. He served for many years in the same reserves MASH unit as one of my pharmacists. He was abruptly called up for active duty overseas for the entire next year, and tonight was his last night at work. The pharmacist buddy was not working, so I called him at home to let him know the nurse is about to be on his way to Europe. Being able to get those two on the phone together made me feel a lot better about life, as well. Isn't it funny how doing small things to help other people out can make you feel so much better? I am glad the nurse will not be serving in the war zones (Iraq or Afghanistan) ~ rather, he is being sent to Kosovo.

No comments: