Friday, June 2, 2006

senior honors night

Yesterday I had no work as it was senior's honors night at the high school.

Actually I spent most of the day with my Bill; it turned out good.

I got to bed about 4AM due to covering part of the midnight shift. Then Steven woke me up at 6:30AM and Dan woke me up again about 8:30AM, both of them looking for things. It was grim.

When Bill got home from the graduation ceremony rehearsal, I explained to him that I had a bunch of errands to run, and could he please come along with me to make sure I did not fall asleep while driving?

So we ran errands all day. We went to Bill's bank so he could deposit a paycheck; went to the high school so he could turn in a straggler textbook; stopped at a convenience store for some caffeine; went to Target to buy him some dress clothes for honors night and for graduation day along with some new dress shoes; got him a hair cut; got some mosquito spray for the yard; stopped off for some lunch (at that point I realized I had eaten nothing all day and that might have been part of why I felt so icky); stopped off at the bookstore and did not find the specific book we were looking for; stopped off at a second bookstore and did find it; and stopped off at the gourmet grocery store and got many cool cheeses.

Steven will get his turn today for some new dress clothes and shoes. And a chance for some lunch.

Last night the honors night was very enjoyable. Bill was awarded two local scholarships. That makes a couple thousand more, to go along with the state scholarship he was awarded the other day and the Presidential scholarship he got from Ball State. Maybe we can afford this after all! Most of his tuition is now covered by scholarships; we will have to pay primarily for his room and board and books. One of his friends got a great scholarship for full tuition and a book allowance for a year from the local community college. That is a great kid and we were sitting by his parents, who were overwhelmed when it was announced; it was wonderful to see their faces! No child or family could deserve such good fortune more than they!

After the awards ceremony the high school served up pizza and pop and everyone milled around and talked and congratulated each other.

It was a very pleasant evening.

No comments: