Saturday, June 3, 2006

body doubles

Last night I saw the second doppelganger/body double of my life. Very weird experience when that happens.

The first time was on our trip a couple of years ago out West, the time we had such a great time in New Mexico and Colorado. I was looking out from the balcony from our hotel room in Colorado Springs and there she was - the clone or unknown identical twin of Dan's mean sister, walking across the parking lot with three pretty little girls with long blonde hair that looked just like her three daughters, and in the company of an unpleasant looking older woman. The likeness was absolutely amazing. Well, even though her first husband came from the Colorado Springs area, there would be no earthly reason for his mean sister and her daughters to be walking across the parking lot of that hotel in that city on that day. It was a completely uncanny coincidence and resemblance.

Last night I saw the clone of my mean former friend, walking down the sidewalk away from Greektown, carrying a blue cooler, and in the company of a very unattractive woman who looked to be at least ten years older than him. When I first saw this guy I wanted to quietly be sick because he looked so much like my former friend. Then I wanted to laugh. I can't think of anyone other than that pathetic man (who pretended to be my friend while he was using me and lying to me and who shunted me off as soon as I was a bit inconvenient) who would more deserve to have a girlfriend he is afraid of, AND who is ugly on top of that.  Well, of course, it could not have possibly been him, as there would be no earthly reason he would have been in Detroit last night, and this guy was just a doppelganger, and the woman he was with is probably the nicest lady you could ever hope to meet (which is infinitely more important than physical beauty anyway - beauty can fade or alter - a loving heart lasts forever). But it was still very very strange. And yeah - it was funny.

This may well be the meanest thing I have ever said about anyone in my life - but that former friend really treated me horribly, with no remorse at all, and after that last thing, I suppose that my opinion (at least for now) has slid down into deep contempt. And it was very funny - seeing that guy who looked so much like him brought home the utter ridiculousness of my mourning someone who isn't really worth knowing. Not to mention being afraid of him.  It's like being afraid of the monster in the closet and finding out that the monster is made of nothing more than squeeky noises and shadows and is as harmless as a baby bunny rabbit. I am an idiot!

Too bad it really wasn't him. To be dating a woman he fears is bad enough, but to have her be that unattractive on top of it? That would be priceless!!!  Especially since he's one of those guys always moaning and drooling over how "hot looking" various celebrity women are.  I have never really cared what people look like, but he has serious hangups about weight and society's warped definitions of beauty, so it would be truly classic for him to have an ugly and mean girl.The only thing that could possibly be more just in this world and this life would be if an ugly and mean girl was just using him, the way he uses other people.  Oh, that would have been priceless if it had been him!!!

And, of course, to prove once and for all what an idiot I am, I still miss this man ~ or, at least, I greatly miss the man I once thought him to be. And even knowing how cruel he can be - I still the miss the more positive things about him.

The other thing is - why do Dan and I keep seeing doubles of people neither one of us wants to see? Twice now, and it is doubles of mean people we want nothing to do with. In fact, those are probably the only two people in all the world we do not want to see!!!!!!!!  Why can't we see doubles of people we enjoy? Why not Danlo? Why not Dan's very nice sister-in-law from Utah? Why not my buddy from New York? Why not someone who looks like Martin Luther King or Mother Theresa????

No comments: