Monday, August 2, 2004

The weekend is over...

Did end up going to the party last night. It was quiet while I was there, other than the giving of some unusual gag gifts, though I have since heard it got pretty wild after I left...the house where it was held is a lovely place out in the woods near Dexter. Has a pond with a fountain, several decks, a walk out basement with a bar and an antique snooker table...cool place for a party...

Ordered some Detroit Tigers tickets today...the game will be late this month...looking forward to going to the game. They are doing OK this year, so I am finally being allowed to go to a game. I have not been to a game in the new stadium yet!

Have been reading Tony Daniels's Metaplanetary, a science fiction novel set in the far future. Like Sullivan's Lethe, the first several chapters have left me scratching my head in puzzlement. Hopefully, once I get farther into the book, I will finally figure it out. I recently read Nicola Griffith's Ammonite and found it to be an interesting book. It is about an anthropologist who is sent to a planet where a virus has killed all of the men...it was well written, and a coming of age story for the main character. I have also read Garth Nix's book Mister Monday, the firts of a science fiction/fantasy series for children. I liked it. It was interesting and fast paced, with a lot of mysteries to puzzle over. And the hero, a boy with asthma, was quite a sympathetic character.

The only movie I have watched lately was Skinwalkers, made by PBS...a very good adaptation of a very good book by Tony Hillerman, set on the Navajo reservation and featuring Navajo police officers solving a series of murders.

With the nearly constant rain this summer, the garden is going crazy. We have so many things blooming now!

No comments: