Sunday, November 9, 2008

first snow

Today we got our first snow of the year in the form of a slow and gentle winter mix. So far none of it is sticking to the ground (thankfully).

We are making homemade beef and barley and vegetable soup for dinner. I love barley soup, and this will go very well with the cold weather. It will hot and hearty. We will have a loaf of Italian bread to go with it.

I am actually starting to plan out Thanksgiving dinner to take advantage of sales on baking ingredients and the like at the grocery store. I have to figure out which recipes to make, take inventory of what we already have, and then next weekend I will the the store and buy the ingredients. I am thinking bread (we should already have all of those ingredients, other than honey - I used the last of the honey up a couple of weeks ago), fudges (Dan and I both have a different favorite recipe), a couple of pies, a couple of different kinds of cookies, and a cherry-marshmallow-cake that the kids love. We will not pick up the turkey breast and main dinner stuff until closer to the holiday to save some room in the freezer.

No comments: