Saturday, April 22, 2006

crazy couple of days

It's been a crazy couple of days.

On Thursday I took Max in to the vet. They gave him a good checkup, including some blood work, and he is very healthy, despite being very old and arthritic. As always, he greatly enjoyed riding in the Jeep, even though he cannot get in and out of the vehicle by himself. He just stretches out in the backseat and smells everything. I get to pick him up and put him in and take him out, poor old doggy.

Thursday night at work was wild. About the time I walked in the door the OR called down and they were frantic. They were losing a patient on the table and if we couldn't get our hands on a very expensive drug we do not usually carry, and get our hands on it right away, the surgeons were going to have to let him go. We called down the street to the University Hospital, and they did have some. We had very little time, so I told my supervisor that I knew where they kept the medication (in the sixth floor pharmacy) because I used to work down there about twenty years ago, and I could get in and out with it real quick, but I needed someone to drive me down there because the parking is such a mess the guy might die while I would be looking for a parking place. So my supervisor himself drove me. We pulled up at the patient drop off area in front of the hospital, and I sprinted  to the other end of the hospital, went up to the sixth floor, got the drug, sprinted back, and we drove back to our hospital. Thank God, thank God - we made it in time and the patient made it.No one else working that afternoon knew where the drug was kept down there, and would have had to deal with the parking and then finding that pharmacy, and my supervisor told me that if I hadn't been at work right then, that guy would have probably not made it.

I hated working at the University Hospital, but maybe it was worth it, just for that.

Yesterday I took the Jeep in for its oil change. Dan met me there and we went to lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant, which is right near the dealer. I was in a mischievous mood, so I described my very sexy underwear to him as we were eating lunch. He seemed to have trouble concentrating on his food.

Last night Steven played soccer in a pouring rain. I ran to the Jeep and got out Dan's big golf umbrella, so we stayed sort of dry, but Steven was just soaked to the skin. So Dan headed to the pig roast in his truck, and I took Steven home for a hot shower.

Dan and Steven are off at the wrestling tournament. Bill had a practice AP calculus test this morning, which he said was very difficult. I am about to go out and plant snow peas in the garden. Dan and I are going to a classical concert in Ann Arbor this evening. The Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra will be playing Beethoven's Fifth, among other pieces.

No comments: