Friday, September 21, 2007

rough night at work

Last night at work was bad. The work itself was not bad, even though they took down the computer system for a couple of hours. It was bad because this coworker who has anger management issues cornered me yet again to scream at me for a long time. Always makes me sick when she does that, and she does that at least every few months, and sometimes a lot more often than that. And whenever she does it, it is always because of something that has nothing whatsoever to do with me and that I have no control over. It is always something (usually no more than annoying, certainly nothing to fuel such rage) that someone else did or said that she feels the need to vent about. But her venting is usually pretty close to insane ranting. And she always picks a time when I am isolated away from witnesses - and she always places herself between me and the door so I cannot get away without physically moving her. And she will not let me out, no matter what I say, until her ravings are over. I honestly wish I could call the police (yes - it can be that bad) - or other coworkers to help me. But it is usually not near a telephone, either. And how can I make a formal complaint when she is so careful to do this when no one else is around? No witnesses, no case.

God help me, this has gone on for years now. And Dan wonders why I have high blood pressure and am sick all of the time from stress. If it is not male coworkers stealing clothing from my locker in the women's room and taking it home for weeks, it is other people cramming their emotional problems and unwarranted rage down my throat in a loud and ugly way.

God help me.

I have been reading a lot of short novels this week. A nice break from ten volumes of a thousand pages each that fantasy works have started to become in this day and age!

The Mournful Teddy by John J. Lamb was a great deal of fun! A medically retired San Francisco homicide detective and his wife have moved to rural Virginia, where she grew up. There she has started to design and make artisan teddy bears. He takes a keen interest in the soft little things ,and who can blame him, after the horrible things he has seen in his career as police officer in a major urban area? The mystery in the book revolves around crooked cops, a murder, and the theft of one of the most valuable teddy bears in the world. If this is one of a series, I would be very happy to read the other books.

On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle is the first book in Coffeehouse Mysteries series. It was set in an historic coffee house in my favorite area of New York City, Greenwich Village. Clare Cosi is the former and future manager of Village Blend. It was run to the ground in the meantime, and the owner is bringing her back in an effort to rescue the business. Unfortunately, it means that she must share the duplex apartment that comes with the job with her ex-husband, son of the owner...and even more unfortunately, first thing in the morning, she finds the assistant manager, a hard working girl named Anabelle, horribly hurt at the foot of the stairs. Did this talented dancer slip and fall - or was she pushed? Promising start to a mystery series, and while I have never developed a taste for coffee, I do love the Greenwich Village setting.

A Secret Rage by Charlaine Harris was a very difficult book to read. It was well written - I have yet to run into a bad novel or story written by Harris - but the content was difficult. It tells the story of a woman who decides to move home to small town Tennessee and go back to school, after a modeling career in New York City. But the peace of the small town is being interrupted by a brutal serial rapist. Very likable women are being attacked through no fault of their own. Some of the victims decide to team up to figure out who the criminal might be. Searing descriptions of rape and other violence. I believe that this is a stand alone novel, and not part of any series.

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury just failed to grip me, and I have been trying to read it for over a week before finally finishing it this morning. The last time I fell asleep so many times while reading a book was for Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides, and since I thought that book was not very good, that is certainly not a good sign. I usually love Bradbury, so maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for this particular book. Anyway, a carnival from hell comes to small town Illinois in a story set many decades ago in a much more innocent time. Two boys become involved, and are hunted down by the freaks and demons...

No comments: