Wednesday, September 19, 2007

kind of down

I am kind of down. Since having even that little bit of contact with Mr. Grinch, I have been sick, as usual when I have any sort of contact with that creep. So I have been having stress diarrhea and have been throwing up. Yuck. This is a bad time of year for allergies, too, so for the last week or so, my head has been feeling as if it has been stuffed with cotton or perhaps old newspapers.

And the Detroit Tigers probably blew any hope they had of making the playoffs in the last two nights against the Cleveland Indians. And the losses coming from our two greatly talented and beloved young pitchers, Joel Zumaya and Justin Verlander, it hurts even more. (Yes, I know that Zumaya technically did not get the loss in Monday's game - but he blew a big lead in the late innings, and set up things for the loss to occur).

I knew that it would take a miracle for the Tigers to get to the playoffs this year, given how the team has been decimated by injuries - but it is still depressing. Man, they came so close!

I am still looking forward to going to the game on Saturday at Comerica, and plan to cheer my head off for my team.

At least work has been quiet this week. Less stress is always good! Even managed to finish up another book on my breaks and lunches:

Holy Guacamole by Nancy Fairbanks is the sixth book in her Culinary Mysteries series. In the previous books in this series, Carolyn Blue and her professor husband Jason Blue, have traveled to exotic locations in the US and Europe - he on business, her to get ideas for her food/travel column. In this book they stay home in El Paso - a large city on the border with Mexico. A music teacher at the university who has just gotten done directing a very controversial opera with the local opera guild dies after the post-production party. Has he died from food poisoning or has he been murdered? Or was the food poisoning murder? What are his connections with the Mexican drug lord and with the white slavers? The more Carolyn tries to get to the bottom of the death, the more complications and confusion arises.

No comments: