Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

Well, today did turn out to be a very weird ending to what was a very weird week.

Following last night's little snowstorm, we had a windstorm early this morning. The roaring of the wind woke me up, in fact. It sounded like a train in the distance. Well, I believe it was the wind that knocked out the power to our neighborhood.

Dan spent most of the day messing around with trying to cook the turkey breast on the barbecue grill out on the deck out in the snow. He did manage to accomplish that, and we were very very glad we only had a breast rather than a whole turkey.

About the time I called work to tell them about the situation with the power, and that I might be late because I needed to eat something before I went in, the power came back on. We had hooked up the generator for the furnace and the refrigerator, but were not able to use the stove or small kitchen appliances. So, with power restored, we were able to cook the side dishes and use the oven to make biscuits. I got to try everything except for the pies, which were still cooking when I had to leave for work. I can always get some pie after work, or even eat a piece for breakfast tomorrow.

Well, I wanted a Thanksgiving for my older son to remember, as it might be the last one he has while living at home (depending on where he goes to college). I did not expect a power failure, or a snow storm, or having to barbecue the turkey out in the snow!

No comments: