Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Well, its been an interesting couple of days. I felt weird yesterday, but went into work anyway last night. I only made it a couple of hours before I started getting sick, too, so I came home. At that point, Steven had begun running a fever (but had temporarily stopped throwing up). So I was able to give him tylenol, and take care of him -- and then when Dan came home, he was sick, too.

 This morning Steven was still running a fever (and I had started running one) and we were watching the incredible devastation and flooding down south on the tv when the phone rang -- it was the high school asking if they could send Bill home because he was throwing up. So he drove home (having to pull over and throw up twice on the way home) and we had a quiet day of trying to keep down water, tylenol, and crackers. And, of course, Bill was running a fever by afternoon, too.

At least Dan is feeling better today.

I woke up a few minutes ago, sick again, have tried to take some more water and tylenol (and benadryl to try to help me get some sleep) and will take a hot shower then back to bed.

At least the hurricaine missed us, so no heavy rain. The outermost part came through just before sunset last night, and it was actually quite beautiful -- the swirls of clouds all pink and glowing in the evening sky. You could actually see the curved and distinct bands.

But the devastation down on the Gulf of Mexico is truly horrifying, just incredibly bad. I am equally horrified by the looting in New Orleans. I can see people breaking into food stores to get food and drink if they have no alternative. I could certainly never condemn someone for stealing food or clean water under such circumstances, especially if they have children or elderly people to take care of. But it didn't look like that was the sort of store and sort of stuff the looters the newscrews were filming were taking. Dead bodies lying in the streets, horribly polluted sewer water several feet deep covering most of the city, and people are stealing designer purses and crap like that. Sheesh.

No comments: