Friday, April 22, 2005

The take-down tournament was interesting. Wrestling on their feet seemed to wear the kids down a lot more than the usual. I don't know that I have ever seen so many middle school aged kids in tears. Steven was absolutely furious with Dan, as he had to wrestle up in both age (he is 12 and he wrestled the 13-14 years olds) and in weight (10 pounds up). He still came in second, but was so mad he was in tears. Another kid was sobbing, and Dan dumped him on me. I finally figured out that he was hysterical because he was hungry, his parents weren't there, and he had no money to buy any food. I gave him some money, he went and got something to eat, and he was happy for the rest of the night. I actually won the 50/50 raffle. I never win anything. But since it was our tournament, I donated my half of the money (nearly $100). Why couldn't I have won at another school's tournament, so I could keep the money? The pig roast seemed to go well, though it grossed me out that the heads were still on the pigs. Yuck!

I can't wait for tomorrow, and the nice hotel. Swimming in the indoor/outdoor pool while it is snowing should be fun. And the brunch they have there on Sundays is wonderful!

The schedule for the University Musical Society at UM is out for next year. They are the organziation that puts on so many great jazz and classical concerts. They have a lot of great jazz cocnerts on the schedule for next year, even a Christmas concert with Dianne Reeves, and all but one are on the nights I have off from work. I am actually thinking of getting a ticket subscription for the jazz series. That would also enable me to get tickets for the Vienna Philharmonic concert before they go on sale to the general public. I would really like to go hear them, and I know that concert will be sold out rather quickly.

No comments: