Wednesday, February 9, 2005

Am exhausted today. When I got home from work last night, Dan was all upset about something going on with the wrestling program (a couple of parents who are very strong supporters of the old high school coach who was let go last year have been, for the lack of a better description, causing as much trouble as they can), and he needed to talk and vent, so we were up until about 3:30AM. And when the kids leave for school before 7AM, morning comes very early.

Yesterday before work I finally went to one of the two gourmet grocery stores in Ann Arbor that my friends have all been trying to talk me into going to. The Whole Foods Market was a bright and cheerful place, filled with all sorts of organic foods. They import their organic tortillas from New Mexico, which tickles me. I had to email my friends in New Mexico about that. I got some soups and soup mixes, some bread, some bottled green tea, and some items from the bakery. I hope to go back on a day off of work, so I can take my time in the meat, dairy, and cheese areas of the store. I think that I could easily spend a couple of hours in there wandering around.

Have been reading lots of short mystery novels lately. I just do not have the time or motivation right now to tackle the big stack of heavy duty history and science fiction/fantasy novels waiting to be read. One of my friends has lent me the first couple of books in a series by Laura Childs, set in a swanky tea shop in the historic district of Charleston, South Carolina. The setting, of course, is lovely. I've only spent a couple of very enjoyable days in Charleston, but reading these books makes me wish for another trip down there, and the little beachfront hotel on the Isle of Palms where I stayed last time...

On this day (Wednesday) next week, my break from work will begin. I am more than ready for that. If my trip to New York to visit my friend Fist and his family could have happened, I would probably be packing right now in order to catch the train out of Toledo in the middle of the night. Well, hopefully our families can get together next summer. The weather will surely be better then, and maybe we can take all of the kids swimming or something. And my friends from New Mexico might even be able to join us, which would be heaven!!  I am just feeling a bit blue right now...its snowing today, and there was an ice storm last night and my heart aches from missing the other friend I would have seen in New York if things could have worked out. I am sure a lot of my blueness today is just from not getting enough sleep last night. Thankfully there are only two more work days this week, and on Friday I can relax and get a lot of rest.  On Saturday will be the high school league wrestling championships down in Frenchtown Township, though, so I will be spending the day down in the shadow of the nuke plant once again.

No comments: