Thursday, June 11, 2009

NO, not a game seven~!

Ugh. The Penguins beat my beloved Wings the other night in game six, forcing a game seven in the Stanley Cup finals.

I hate game sevens.

I hate how a team's season can end because of a couple of bad bounces of the puck or a couple of bad calls (or non-calls) by the refs!

Ah well, win or lose, I love my Red Wings.

This year's playoffs have just been...bizarre. While I am sure it has happened in the past, I cannot remember any team ever facing so much adversity in the course of one playoffs - from the flu outbreak in their dressing room last week to all of the injuries (at this point it would probably be easier to name the few players who have not been injured rather than the all of the ones who have been) and illnesses. Nicky Lidstrom got hurt in the Chicago series and has not been playing as well as usual in the finals - and I ran into a rumor tonight on the Internet that he was speared in the groin in game three against Chicago and has a ruptured testicle. OUCH!!! Yeah, that would certainly slow most men down. A lot. I do not even have a testicle, and it makes me wince.

Crazy and awful stuff.

So win or lose, they have done a great job overcoming adversity and getting this far! In fact, if they do win, I think this might be the most meaningful Cup in my lifetime with the exception of the first Cup in the Yzerman era (and first in my lifetime won by the Wings) simply because the team has been through so much.

They have one big strike against them - I will be able to watch the game. Every Cup they have won in my lifetime has been while I have been at work and have been unable to watch the game. This time game seven will be on my night off from work! And that gives me a very ominous feeling. Nothing against the Penguins (a very good team) or Sidney Crosby (a very good but pukingly over hyped player), but I think I will have to turn off the television before seeing Sid the Kid hoisting up the Cup at the Joe should the Pens win.

No comments: